Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Pirate's Life For Me.

Yesterday I went movie chaining. Which is my way of saying I paid for a ticket for one movie and then theater hopped to see more. This is my report.

The movie I actually paid for was "Pirates of the Carribean 3: At World's End." Also known as "Let's beat this idea to death." It was a good movie, but given what the first movie was, and even some of the second movie, the plot seemed stilted and the acting was less than convincing. Johnny Depp once again gives a masterful performance, and Geoffrey Rush truly shines. That's pretty much where the good acting stops. And sadly enough, there were so many "plot twists," that my initial assessment of what was going to happen, happened. I felt like, "What was the point of that? Nothing changed! Fucking crap ass Screenwriters."

Being less than impressed by the first offering, I felt entitled to make it up to myself by viewing another movie at no cost to myself. So I looted, pillaged, plundered and pirated(read: walked) to 1408. One phrase to describe this movie? Best mindfuck ever. This movie actually made me jump several times. And Sammy L, while not having the largest part, holds it down. The interaction between him and Mr. Cusack is amazing, on par with McClain and Zeus or Jules and Vincent. The story was engaging and, while unfolded at a slightly slower pace than I enjoy, made for a powerfully intriguing plot point. Well worth the $5.75 I paid for the other movie.

Finally came Fantastic Four: The Rise of The Silver Surfer. Pure popcorn fest. But decent in it's way. Nothing less than what I expected, but nothing more either. Very grateful that Galactus wasn't a purple giant with that awful headdress. Bonus points for naked flaming Jessica Alba. My only real issue with the movie is Mr. Fantastic should never dance. Ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pirates 3 was mos def my least favorite. I have no opinions about the other two.

Super Doom Monkey said...

We shall obtain opinions for you.