Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Kill

Yay! More book review. So freaking glad pulp is making a comeback.



Book the fifteenth - The Colorado Kid

Despite being a well written, higly acclaimed book that has single-handedly brought attention back to books of the 30's and 40's pulp style, I think this was the weakest of the 5 in this set of books I've read. Having said that, this is still one of the best books I have ever read in my life. I'm not normally a fan of Stephen King. I read "The Stand" when I was in high school. I've also enjoyed "Needful Things" and "The Dark Half." But I can't really seem to get into his books. This one was not a problem for me however. The pacing and plot were well done, characters were fully developed and there was just enough suspense to keep me on the edge of my seat without making it feel forced. My only real complaint is that I have no idea what happened. But that's not important. Great book. Great read. Low price.


Book the sixteenth - The Guns of Heaven

Truly a masterpiece. Set in present times and dealing with the IRA and how it affects one man's life, this book is full of complex plots and gritty realism. I don't want to say too much about this for fear of giving something away, but you'll never look at the Irish the same after this. Well worth the read.


Book the seventeenth - Grave Descend

Very clever and well written tale concerning a sunken boat and it's recovery. Some of the characters feel a little forced into the picture, but work well within the whole of the cast. Altogether, a solid red with an interesting hook.


Book the eighteenth - Lucky at Cards

May I just say that Lawrence Block is the fucking man? An amazing and riveting tale of a man who has hit rock bottom, falling into the best stroke of luck he could hit and where it takes him. A story of lust, betrayal, deceit, revenge and redemption. Well woven.


Book the nineteenth - Bust

Again, well written. Full of twists. Amazing plot with a healthy cast of characters. The crosses and double crosses make for an engrosssing tale. A little slow to start, but picks up nice and quick. By the end of the book, it's a blitzkreig of true noir style. Best of the bunch.


Book count: 19

No comments: